Pages

Pages

Sunday, December 17, 2023

John 18:15-18, 25-27 Peter’s Betrayal

 Peter’s Betrayal

12/17/23 Podcast

John 18:15-18, 25-27

Matt. 26:69-75 

Mark 14:66-72

Luke 22:54-62


Jesus Prediction of Peter’s denial

Matt. 26:30-35 

Mark 14:26-31 

Luke 22:31-34 

John 13:36-38  


So while our bookmark is at John 18:15 and focused in on Peter’s denial of being a disciple of Christ, to capture the full story we need to go back to Jesus prediction that Peter would deny Him 3 times before the rooster crowed.


Peter used the highest form of covenant language with Jesus to confess loyalty to Him. 


In Matthew, “Though they all fall away because of you, I will never fall away“. 

In Mark, “Even though they all fall away, I will not”. 

In Luke, “Lord, I am ready to go with you both to prison and to death.” 

And in John, “I will lay down my life for You.”


So for a timeline, immediately after this confession Jesus takes His disciples to Gethsemane and prays and after that prayer Judas betrays the Lord. So when Jesus says to Peter, you will deny me 3 times, He literally means before the night is over you will deny me.


In Matthew, “I do not know what you mean”, “I do not know the man”, he began to invoke a curse on himself and to swear, “I do not know the man.”

In Mark, “I neither know nor understand what you mean,” “I do not know the man of whom you speak.”

In Luke, “Woman, I do not know Him,” “Man, I am not”, “Man, I do not know what you are talking about”

In John, “I am not”, “I am not”






No comments:

Post a Comment